Balaji Lakshmanan ( Founder & CEO at Geeky Robotics / imakerobots.com )
RoboGeek, Entrepreneur,http://imakerobots.com / Geeky Inc,#TelepresenceRobot #Animatronics#EducationalRobotics, Trouble maker for fun, IIT Madras
Balaji Lakshmanan, founder and CEO of Geeky Robotics / imakerobots.com did his research in robotics and robot learning from IIT Madras. He has published two research papers at international IEEE Robotics conferences and as well been reviewer for international IEEE robotics conference. He also holds four provisional patents from USPTO.
With over 10 years of experience in robotics, Balaji Lakshmanan has developed various types of robots from tiny bug robots to Humanoid robots. He had worked with the Indian army’s robotics division and also has designed robotics, animatronics products for south Indian movies. He had built indigenous, autonomous six feet humanoid robot with 7 degrees of freedom, one of the first of its kind in India. His work “Robo fingers”, affordable robotic prosthetic fingers for amputees had recently won asia’s best work award in a prosthodontics conference. He is also involved in designing a non intrusive breast cancer diagnosis robot in collaboration with IIT Madras and Patterson cancer institute and world’s first banking robot in collaboration with Polaris financial technology limited. Autonomous telepresence security robot platform “Ubi” developed by him and his team, had been selected for demo in international presentations in USA and Europe.
Balaji had presented his robotics work nationally and internationally and had also been TEDx speaker. He had also conducted robotics workshops and training for over 5000 students across colleges and schools. He had also designed easy to use robotic kits for encouraging robotics and innovation among student community.
- Research in Robotics and Robot Learning at IIT Madras
- Published two IEEE papers at International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS) in the field of Robotics and Robot Learning.
- Reviewed conference paper for IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation [ICRA] in area of robot learning and intelligent system.
- Holds four provisional patents at United States Patent and Trademark Office.
- With 10+ years of experience in robotics, has developed various types of robots from tiny bug robots to Humanoid robots.
- Worked with the Indian army robotics division for Robotics.
- Built world’s first of its kind Banking Robot in collaboration with Polaris Financial Technology
- Building non-intrusive breast cancer diagnosis robot in collaboration with IIT Madras and Patterson cancer institute, Chennai
- Designed and prototyped low cost Robot finger prosthetics for amputees in collaboration withT.NGDc&H and Stanley Medical college
- Developed Autonomous Video Telepresence Robot. Customer, Cognizant Technology Solutions (CTS)
- Worked in robotics and animatronics for south Indian movies “I”, directed by Shankar, “Mugamoodi / Mask”, directed by Mysskin
- Built indigenous, autonomous six feet humanoid robot with 7 degrees of, freedom, one of the first of its kind in India.
- Worked with doctors for a decision support handheld medical device for quality and affordable healthcare in rural and remote locations. Project funded by NRHM, Govt of India
- Conducted Robotics training and workshops for over 5000 college and school students
- Worked with student group and made robot to participate in the finals @ NASA Lunabotics challenge, Florida, USA
Awards and Recognition
- Robotics and Robot Learning research work presentations in Taiwan and France for Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS) conference
- “Ubi” ~ The telepresence security robot had been selected for demo in international presentations in USA and Europe
- Robot finger prosthetics for amputees awarded overall best work award at Prosthodontic conference,Asian academy of prosthodontics
- TEDxChennai Star, 2012
- Speaker at TEDx events
- As a student, won a number of prizes in Robotics competitions, paper presentation in Robotics
- One of 50 invited students, selected from across the world for Asia Pacific Student Entrepreneurship Society (ASES) Entrepreneurship and Future Leadership summit, Stanford, California, USA.